Monday, November 21, 2011

Doumit splits revisited

So I made a mistake the other day in claiming that Doumit was better as a right-handed bat against lefties. It is true that the 2011 numbers indicate that, his career numbers are .798 against righties and .718 against lefties, and he certainly has more pop from the left side. See Parker Hageman's analysis

This means that the Twins still need one or two right-handed bats. The Phillies traded for Ty Wigginton, a player I would have liked the Twins to trade Kevin Slowey for (along with an exchange of prospects). This may mean that Michael Cuddyer is a bit less of a need for them. I am certain that the Rockies are now going to be very interested, and other teams like the Red Sox, Giants, Mets, Cubs, and Brewers (depending on where Prince Fielder ends up) will be interested as well. Some have speculated that Cuddyer's stock may plummet, but I think it is too early to tell.

I still like Andruw Jones, Derrek Lee, Magglio Ordonez, and Jonny Gomes as potential targets. You can add Cody Ross to that list, I suppose. Lee is still an option in my view because Doumit has not actually played much at first, and he was terrible there.

Finally, I am liking the idea of adding Pudge Rodriguez cheaply to be the second/third catcher (Butera needs to become a coach).  I would seriously consider moving Nishioka to AAA Rochester to share middle infield duties there with Brian Dozier. With Carroll, Casilla, and Hughes, there is infield flexibility (and if catastrophe strikes mid-game, Plouffe could finish a game at short). Nishioka, to be successfull, needs to play every day. He can do that for a few months at Rochester and then come up as the first guy in the infield when an injury occurs.

No comments:

Post a Comment